Battery assists its portfolio companies with a range of public-relations and communications issues. Battery’s communications team—led by Vice President Rebecca Buckman and Marketing Manager Alicia Halatsis—is a resource for early-stage companies just starting to tell their stories, as well as more-mature firms that may want to re-position their brands in advance of a liquidity event or restructuring, or get help during a crisis. Battery also employs an outside PR firm to assist with some portfolio-company announcements and offer ongoing, strategic guidance. Specific services include:
- Tactical help with news announcements, such as a fundraising or a product launch;
- Assistance hiring an outside PR firm or internal PR/marketing staff;
- Serving as a liaison with industry and financial conference organizers;
- Crisis communications;
- Corporate messaging and positioning, and help with PR strategy;
- Assistance with strategy on content marketing and executive bylines.
Many Battery portfolio companies provide services via a “software as a service”, or SaaS, platform. As they grow, many face a transition from using a monolithic, centralized application stack to adopting a scalable, distributed micro-service platform using the latest cloud, continuous delivery and DevOps technologies. Battery can help guide companies through these transitions with assistance from Adrian Cockcroft, the firm’s technology fellow. Adrian was previously the “cloud architect” at Netflix and a distinguished engineer at eBay and Sun Microsystems. He has been recognized as a top global authority on scalability, performance monitoring, cloud computing and micro-service architectures. Adrian can help companies in several areas, including:
- Migrating to cloud-native architecture and optimizing for agility and cost;
- Speeding up product development with DevOps for continuous delivery;
- Improving scalability and availability.
At Battery, business development is built into our DNA. We don’t segregate this function to a certain segment of our staff. Everyone at the firm—from general partners to other investment-team members to operations professionals—works tirelessly to connect our portfolio executives with partners and potential new customers. We strive to maintain a set of high-level, leverage-able relationships with CIOs, CTOs, CMOs and other buyers of technology around the globe—as well as with top executives at larger corporations. We also hold small and large events, ranging from intimate dinners to larger summits, year-round, to facilitate customer and partner introductions. Some of our recent and upcoming events include:
- Going Global from Day One sales and marketing workshop, Q3 2016, Tel Aviv;
- Enterprise Security Summit, April 14, Washington, D.C.;
- RSA dinner and reception with Jeremy Bash, former chief of staff to CIA Director Leon Panetta, Mar. 1, San Francisco;
- SaaStr conference cocktail reception, Feb. 9, San Francisco;
- Solving the B2B/Enterprise PR Puzzle workshop, Dec. 8, San Francisco;
- Portfolio Day with Fortune 500 company, Dec. 1, San Francisco;
- Battery Culture & Leadership Summit with HR leader Patty McCord, Oct. 29, San Francisco;
- Battery CIO Summit, Oct. 22, Yountville, Ca.;
- Amazon Web Services Re:Invent Reception, Oct. 9, Las Vegas.